Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Everything Comes and Goes


I saw a poorly defined man lasso an entire world
underneath the train tracks
every morning on my way to work.

He looked like he was struggling with it-
As much as he looked like anything-
But every time I thought about offering him help
he would say,
to no one in particular,
Everything comes and goes
And continue to grapple with his universe.

It was a colorful place;
an artist's delicate touch made sure each face felt comfortable
because she hoped that they would be there awhile.

The homeless man's cigarette smoke didn't seem to bother them
And every time I wanted to ask about the trains in the sky,
I held my tongue,
because I knew they would tell me
you get used to it after a while,
because Amtrak runs on a schedule like everything else.

I thought about drawing the man with the lasso a friend
but by the time I found my sharpie and stencil
he had already come and gone
leaving his universe to float for a while
like a fish on a stringer

One morning I found the colors of those faces spattered with gray
and smoothed over like freshly laid concrete.
The universal cowboy's lasso faded into the wall he called his home
like everything else he once held.

That afternoon I bought a can of spray paint
because when a tunnel becomes a canvas
it can only stay blank for so long.



No comments:

Post a Comment